- Choke. Just think about it, seriously. Think about what choking is and imagine speaking while it’s happening. That would fuckin’ hurt, man.
- Hiss. Look, it’s just not possible, okay? No matter how “evil” you want your character to seem.
- Snarl. Animals snarls. The Beast from Beauty and the Beast snarls. The Hulk snarls. You know who doesn’t snarl? PEOPLE WHEN THEY’RE SPEAKING.
- Shriek. Come on, 99% of the time, “shriek” is not the word you want.Let’s face it: if you put an exclamation point at the end of the sentence, your reader gets the picture. Don’t bring to mind banshees and screaming toddlers.
- Sneer. I’m not even going to bother explaining this one. “SNEER” ISN’T EVEN A SOUND.
Choked is not meant to be taken literally, an obstruction in the throat. It means they’re having difficultly speaking, they’re forcing the words out with difficulty. Often used when the character is convulsed in tears or laughter.
Hiss is a low, threatening whisper. Raw, guttural, vicious. It is NOT a literal hiss like an animal, it is a tone of voice that serves the same function. Someone will hiss that they’re going to cut your throat- a message from one person to the other.
Snarl is the same kind of thing. Not literal, it’s a tone of voice that serves the same function. It’s raw and gutteral like a hiss, but more savage than vicious. It’s loud, it’s showy, it’s intimidating. It’s very alpha male, big man, look at how fucking dangerous I am. I’ll take ALL of you on. Even if they’re snarling at one person in particular, nobody better back them up or they’re gonna get fucked up too.
Shriek. Come on, seriously? We’ve all heard people shriek either in fear or outrage. High pitched, loud, out of control, feminine. Men can shriek, but it’s funny and emasculating. Think angry italian women throwing pots and pans or ladies on tables who just saw a mouse.
Sneering is contempt whether it’s a facial expression or a tone of voice or both. There are a hundred different ways to sneer with your voice, but it all adds up to the same thing.
How descriptive words work 101
- jecruby likes this
- imsuchacreep reblogged this from shiraae
- just-another-dead-dave-strider reblogged this from shiraae
- doktorgun likes this
- atlas-air likes this
- majulyrete likes this
- sesylea likes this
- girlwiththekey reblogged this from valerieparker
- royalpage reblogged this from archival-musings
- drakotyx reblogged this from whoselineftw
- lordjackal reblogged this from tonystarksnipples
- the-writers-stashbox reblogged this from savedwritinghelp
- givingmydays likes this
- zeesleeepyhead reblogged this from amy--not--pond
- scribeofvoid reblogged this from shitarianasays
- scribeofvoid likes this
- beifongz likes this
- fluffehbunneh likes this
- chesire-dragon likes this
- dis-illusi0ns reblogged this from moffatyoucantjustdothat
- consultingtimelordintheimpala likes this
- mrcleverallons-y reblogged this from moffatyoucantjustdothat
- moffatyoucantjustdothat reblogged this from whoselineftw
- moffatyoucantjustdothat likes this
- natteiu likes this
- doctorpotterlock likes this
- whoselineftw reblogged this from amy--not--pond
- shinys-mind-palace likes this
- amy--not--pond reblogged this from evaporatingpianosandxylophones
- saygoodbyelove likes this
- kyra5972 reblogged this from pilgrimkitty
- whovianofawesome likes this
- tasibien likes this
- shitarianasays reblogged this from quietprofanity
- anticlockwize reblogged this from valerieparker
- anticlockwize likes this
- realfairyarmadillo likes this
- rareshbones likes this
- shoedowthehedgefoot likes this
- qweety likes this
- emptycitys reblogged this from thenameisnotzippy
- emptycitys likes this
- kittykatears likes this
- sappiestlovestory likes this
- earmuffedprince reblogged this from thenameisnotzippy
- tarlkhir likes this
- thenameisnotzippy reblogged this from valerieparker